Explore the Facilities
Camp Wanapitei is situated on 42 acres of mixed pine and deciduous forest on the north shore of Lake Temagami. A two-kilometer stretch of white, sandy beach is perfect for playing and swimming and campers can have their first taste of river canoeing on the Red Squirrel River which flows through the middle of camp. The picturesque Red Squirrel Falls are only a short hike away and the camp is an easy departure point for many beautiful hiking trails and thousands of kilometers of flat and white water canoe routes.
While at camp, campers are accommodated in cabins which house between eight and ten children. Parents, guardians and visitors are welcome to stay at the Wanapitei Chateau, a heritage two-story log building that boasts a truly lovely view of the lake from its many porches and balconies. In our historical dining hall, our chefs provide hearty, nutritious and delicious meals that will satisfy any camper’s appetite. Vegetarian meals are always available. A doctor is on site at all times in our camp hospital.
- Beach swimming – GORGEOUS white sandy beach – the most sought after beach in the Temagami Region
- Raft swimming – we have a great raft and a slide
- Paddling – on Lake Temagami and on the Red Squirrel River
- Sailing – in our Laser Pico’s
- Arts & Crafts – large variety from tie dye to natural crafts, beading, hemp etc.
- Square Dances – a tradition of over 75 years with a professional caller
- Themed evening activities
- Running Games (Capture the Flag, Predator Prey, Mission Impossible etc.)
- Campfire programs (our campfire pit faces west for beautiful sunsets)
- Camp-wide Regatta – on the last day of camp – a theme day with characters and healthy competition
Wanapitei’s Lake Temagami location has played host to a number of conferences over the years, including the Ontario Environmental Network and the UN World Commission on Forestry and Sustainable Development. Conference facilities include the historic Wanapitei Chateau. Contact us for more information and rates.
Your Cabin in the Woods
Four simple, rustic wood heated cabins are available for up to 15 winter visitors. All cabins are equipped with HK kitchen, gas lamps, firewood and bunk beds. Due to our remote location, indoor plumbing and electricity are not available. Please bring your own sleeping bag, personal effects and outdoor clothing and equipment. Cost is $65 per person per night (group and special rates available). Check this out for cabin rentals and Contact us for more information.
Reading Week in the Wilderness
Wanapitei is the ideal mid-winter getaway for you and your friends. Long trails by day and long evenings by the wood stove. Contact us for information on customized packages.